In recent scenarios it has become huge discussions on Middle class contribution for nation development. I feel like middle class family members are like Shravan Kumar of Indian economy who holds the burden of both rich and poor. They still feel like that they are not a most powerless unit for nation’s development, in my point of view they are the future deciders of the nation and want to make country proud. I feel proud to say that I am from middle class family and my contribution for nation development never stops (Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country: J.F Kennedy).
True that this middle class pays for Farmer’s loan, pays for public properties damage during agitations, pays for subsidies, pays toll taxes for roads, pays income tax, property tax etc. That’s why Prime Minister Modi said in his speech on independence day that honest and hard-working middle class tax payers’ contribution was the reason the poor in the country got food to eat. “Every honest tax payer is helping three poor families get enough food”.
Now the question is how middle class families benefited in the last 4 years of this government.
Dear readers, here I take on an absolutely false narrative propagated by many leaders and media, “Modi govt collects taxes from middle class and doesn’t give them any benefits”. I strongly condemn the above allegations, taking into account these changes of the government in the last 4 years which directly benefited the Middle class families.
In 2014, the three biggest issues were:
Please look at the below points at a glance.
As 2019 arrives:
- Inflation is completely under control
- Corruption at the top level is gone
- Terrorism in most part of the country has vanished (Almost none terror attack)
- India’s share in world GDP- 2.43% to 3.08%
- India’s Forex Reserves- From 300 bn USD to 420 bn USD
- Foreign Direct Investment- From 36 bn USD to 60 un USD
- Inflation (महंगाई)- From 10.9% to 2.3%
- Home loan interest rate(p.a)- From 11.5% to 9%
- Tax on Beverages/Edible-oils/Sugar/Spices/Sweets/Bread- From 12% to 5%
- Tax on grains and Pulses- From 5% to 0%
- Number of IT returns filed- From 3.79 Cr to 6.84 Cr
- Number of registered taxpaying businesses- From 50 Lakhs to 114 Lakhs
- Un-electrified villages- From 30% to 0%
- National highway network- From 92,851 Km to 120,543 Km
- Transaction charges on payment through cards- From 1% to 0%
- Sanitation coverage- From 39% to 95%
- LPG coverage- From 55% to 91%
- Domestic money transfer fee- From 1% to 0
- Un-employment rate- From 13.30% to 3.50%
- Country’s economy is rising.
- Armed Forces are becoming stronger.
- Petrol rates are controlled on the public demand.
- Food prices are decreasing.
- Home loan rates are decreasing.
- Taxes on goods are decreasing.
- Reforms happening.
- Social needs are getting fulfilled.
- Welfare schemes and facilities are expanding.
- Factually farmer’s income Increasing.
- Digital footprint increasing.
- Business activities are increasing.
- Scams not happening.
- Terrorists & Maoist’s getting thrashed.
- Looters not getting freebies.
- Service system and government schemes becoming feasible and direct to account.
How GST Benefitted Middle class:
GST has significantly reduced household budget, tax rates have come down on every daily use item-
Here is the simple pre and post GST rate comparison-
- Wheat: From 2.75% to 0%
- Rice: From 2.75% to 0%
- Sugar: From 6% to 5%
- Milk powder: From 6% to 5%
- Tax on grains and Pulses: From 5% to 0%
All the daily use goods have been either exempted or put in the 5% slab.
The rolling out of the GST in June 2017, and the subsequent implementation took place rather smoothly and the economy recovered faster than expected. The central and state taxes were amalgamated to be brought under one umbrella. The problem of tax on tax (cascade taxation) was also solved with the implementation of the Goods and Services Tax. The number of direct tax payers has increased from 6 million to 10.6 million in FY 2017-18 pointing at a positive spillover effect of GST.
According to research based on consumer expenditure data, a household would be saving Rs 320 every month on their monthly spend of Rs 8,400 on 10 goods- cereals, edible oil, sugar, chocolates, namkeen and sweets, cosmetics and toiletries, washing powder, tiles, furniture and coir products and other household products. Earlier, tax in the monthly expenses of 8,400 rupees on daily-use items was 830 rupees while in the post-GST era, it has been reduced to 510 rupees thus saving almost 320 rupees for the consumer. Last week itself, PM Narendra Modi announced that the government shall ensure that 99% of goods will be brought under the 18% GST slab or lower, leaving only luxury and sin items in the 28% tax slab.
- New taxpayers increased by 26.6%
- Number of e-returns filed increased by 28%
- Good for the middle class. As the tax base widens, tax rates will go down.
- Stone-pelting incidents in Kashmir reduced by 75%
- 7.62 lakh counterfeit notes detected
- 58,000 bank accounts belonging to 35,000 companies caught transacting Rs. 17,000 Crore after demonetization
- Maze of shell companies dealing in black money and hawala transactions uncovered
- Detected 17.73 lakh cases where cash transactions did not match tax profile
Modi Government has also improved the primary education system by the adoption of digital platforms in schools. Primary education has been made more affordable by this government which remains the major factor for the rise in enrollment. Also, the advent of digital schools promises to make the carrying of heavy bags redundant. The Modi government also made private school education more affordable.
New educational institutions since 2014:
7 IITs, 7IIMs, 14 IIITs, 1 NIT, 2 IISER, 103 Kendriya Vidyalaya, 62 Navodaya Vidyalaya.
I myself observed lot of change in railway stations in terms of clean and green in which most of middle class families will travel. Following are a few changes happened in last 4+ years.
- Introduction of 17,000 bio-toilets and additional toilets in over 400 stations. These are toilets that treat human waste instead of allowing them to litter rail tracks as was traditionally practised.
- CCTV on coaches: In order to improve security among travelers and especially senior citizens and women, it has been decided to introduce CCTV cameras on doorways and aisles of train compartments, without encroaching on anyone’s privacy.
- Free Wi-Fi on stations: The government decides to provide free Wi-Fi services to passengers at stations.
- E-Catering Services on trains: The Ministry Of Railways under Modi government is providing e-catering services on trains allowing passengers to place an order for a meal that shall be served at his seat.
- Broad Gauge and Electrification: The government has commissioned the laying of 2,500kms of Broad Gauge Lines and the electrification of 1,600kms of rail tracks- Highest Ever!
- The Indian Railways has tried to remove all level crossings in major routes across the country, thereby ridding itself of potential death traps for road users in its network.
The modernization of railways under Suresh Prabhu and quick implementation of projects under Piyush Goyal has helped in considerable progress of railways. Metro Transit system, Bullet Trains, Hyperloop and other high-speed rail projects are also in the pipeline of implementation.
These are the few facts that lead India at high across the world in this 21st century and these are directly benefited the common man’s life, and even there are many other schemes and projects which I have not mentioned here. As time passes, the one country in the Southeast Asian part of the world has touched new heights and has achieved a new recognition in the world. A government that not only brought changes to the budget fiscals but also its tax reforms has played an important role in setting newer and better heights for the country to achieve. Surging India is now a concept that has glued the world’s eyes to this nation. Bharat is now a unique threshold of possibility. If we do the right things in the coming 5 to 10 years, we can move a large mass of humanity from one level of living to another like never before.
Fifty-five months NaMo government has extensively worked at grassroots to strengthen the life of every common man. The middle class has benefited, in more ways than can be summarized in one go. He gives them a home, LPG, health insurance, electricity, pension and connectivity. Another man comes a day before elections. Gives this family a bottle of rum, blanket and ₹500, Family votes for him. We want free schemes so that there is no need to work. All I need is free unemployment allowance, monthly rice, and my granny get 2000 as widow allowance, whatever land my dad bought we will get 20K per annum, etc. Am getting all this why would I need jobs. Increasing freebies is the agenda of many political parties. Even after splendid development and unprecedented work, Modi has to put in extra efforts to get votes. Whereas Cong just has to commit scams and put hindrance to good work and people will vote.
In 2014, Narendra Modi had enthused the people of this country like never before, as is evident from the election results. And in the past 4 ½ years, he has shown us how he means business and beyond; how he is receptive to feedback; he has often reminded us about our duties and has led from the front to bring in changes to our system and has encouraged us to dream big to contribute towards a New India by 2022.
This is not in the support of any political party nor to make political gain, it’s just to show the fact what has changed in these 4 years. Many people ask me if I am a BJP supporter. I believe in politics. I feel no human being is beyond politics. I am biased towards NATION interests. I support who guards them. Hence I support MODI. Don’t keep on any masks, as long as I believe my understanding stands right. The educated and logical people should understand these things and share with them who require it. Just think before you vote.
Let’s together defeat every propaganda of the Anti-Modi ecosystem and take the outstanding achievements of PM Modi to the masses and make sure that the victory margin this time is so huge that the corrupted ecosystem is finished forever. He has done a lot for the country let’s promise that we will not let him down.
Kaho Dil Se, Modi Fir Se..
‖ M: Model ‖ ‖ O: Of ‖ ‖ D: Developing ‖ ‖ I: India ‖i