This year (2021) we are celebrated 97th birthday of Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee ji who was a great poet, orator, philosopher, politician and who lived upon to his principles till his last breath. He was elected to the Lok Sabha 10 times and to Rajya Sabha for 2 times and was awarded India’s highest civilian award Bharat Ratna. He initially joined RSS when he was a child later joined Bharatiya Jana Sangh and at the time of emergency in 1975-77 he fought against the atrocities of the then congress government. Post emergency Bhartiya Jan sangh along with Janata Party established the government, later due to indifferences within, the members of Bhartiya Jan Sangh, left Janata Party and formed Bhartiya Janata Party in 1980.
BJP contested elections independently in 1984 and won two seats initially and from then there is no looking back year after year it grew under the leadership of Vajpayee ji and Shri. L.K Advani ji and in the 2019 general elections, it rose as the largest party elected with 303 seats. Since 2014, every year his birthday (25th December) is celebrated as good governance day due to his sincere and effective rule he performed during his tenure. This year good governance week was celebrated from Dec 20 to 25. During this week ‘Prashasan gaon ke aur’ was scheduled. As part of these collectors and officials from 700 districts across the country went to the villages to find out their grievances and solved the problems then and there itself.
Similarly, a workshop ‘mission Karmayogi- the path ahead’ was conducted with an imperative need to transfer from ‘rule’ to ‘role’ to perform good governance. The executive branch (executive/bureaucracy) is one of the 4 pillars of democracy and the National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB) aims in capacity building of the executive members. The project is aimed at enhancing the skills, performance and ethics of government employees to keep pace with the changing times. There are currently 46 lakh employees in the Central Government. Government is spending Rs 510 crore over the next 5 years to increase accountability and transparency along with making government schemes to reach more effectively to the people with check on negligence and corruption. Prime minister Modi Ji believes in the concept of “reform, perform and transform”.
Here we would discuss how Vajpayee ji’s ideas, aspirations and intentions are been carried forward by Shri. Narendra Modi ji. Vajpayee ji believed in the three principles for good governance. They are strategic foresight, transparency and accountability of government, and antodaya i.e when we are able to incorporate and deliver welfare and development schemes to the last person in a queue then its considered to be good governance.
- Strategic foresight: Shri Vajpayee ji believed in the importance of developing infrastructure to increase employment and future development. The National highway development project, the golden quadrilateral roadways and Pradhan mantri Grameen sadak yojana changed the course of roadways in the history. Today under the leader ship of PM Modiji connectivity to villages is improved and under Bharatmala, Sagarmala and setu bharatam (removal of railway crossings in national highways) a new era in roadways is seen. Also PM Gati Shakti- national master plan aims to improve multilevel connectivity with 16 ministries including railways and roadways put together for development of integrated, coordinated connectivity projects. Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan: It is a scheme that has made free and compulsory education a fundamental right for all 6- 14 year old children. Today, it has been transformed into samagra shiksha abhiyan a comprehensive training campaign in 2018-19 under the National Education Policy. Interlinking of rivers was Vajpayee’s idea which is been put forward and now various projects are in various stages of implementation. India was made nuclear power by performing nuclear tests at Pokhran under his leadership. After the tests India was subjected to international sanctions, but due to its strong economy and rising GDP even after sanctions 4.8% in 1997-98( pre-sanctions) to 6.6% (post sanctions) in 1998-99, U.S decided to drop all sanctions. India still remained the only country with nuclear weapons which has signed Nuclear suppliers group but remained out of Non-Proliferation treaty. Vajpayee ji had peacefully taken up the process of forming new states Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, Uttarakhand in year 2000 by prior discussions and meetings with people of both states unlike Congress government which haphazardly bifurcated the state of Andhra Pradesh which led to lot of agitations in both the states. Vajpayee ji planned ‘stategic sales’ where disinvestment was carried on debt ridden public sector undertakings. Shri. Vajpayee laid government had disinvested 12 PSUs during his tenure which was carried forward further by Modi government where a National infrastructure pipeline- national monetisation plan was set on. Modi ji strongly believes that “Government has no business to be in business” and works on an aim to “monetize to modernize”.
- Increasing transparency and accountability: Shri. Vajpayee government brought the Freedom of Information Act in 2002, later on changed to right to Information Act, which defined transparency and accountability of the government to the common man. Presently under the leadership of Modi ji Aadhar-Voter I card link act was passed to increase transparency during elections and avoid electoral malpractices. Vajpayee ji is a staunch believer that nothing should come free of cost except training, education and health care to the people. PM Modiji brought the skill India Mission in 2015, Looking at the state governments taking loans without a focus in decreasing fiscal deficits, he brought Fiscal Responsibility, budget management (FRMB) act to enhance financial discipline in public spending policy from taxpayers money. To increase transparency and timely implementation of government programmes Modi Ji brought PRAGATI (Pro-active governance and timely Implementation) a multipurpose programme where even common man’s grievances are heard upon. Also Modi ji government brought IB code, 2016 (Insolvency Bankruptcy Act) to act on insolvency issues.
- Antyodaya: A good governance is said only when the most suppressed in the society gets the fruitful benefits of government schemes. Equal opportunities and equal laws to all. Vajpayee ji had initiated Antyodaya Anna yojana scheme in the year 2000 where nearly 1 crore poorest families where given ration at a cost Rs. 3/kg rice and Rs. 2/kg wheat. During the pandemic, under PM Garib Kalyan Yojana, where economy is struck upon, Modi government had provided free ration to 81.35 crore beneficiaries covered under NFSA (Antyodaya Anna Yojana and Priority households) from April 2020 till March 2022, with an estimated budget of Rs. 2.60 lakh crore. In this way, Vajpayee ji’s ideology was taken forward by our Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and he believes “Janata Janardhan” which means the people are god. PM Narendra Modiji’s era can be considered as an era of “digital revolution” and coming decade to be considered as “TECHADE” (Technology decade).
- Present government believes in “Minimum government and Maximum governance”. Broadband internet connection was extended to 1.5 lakh gram panchayats and 3 lakh Common Service Centres have been set up nationwide. India has been the world leader in transactions through UPI since the abolition of banknotes. In October 2021 alone, 350 crore transactions worth Rs 6.3 lakh crore underwent through this medium. Present government has emphasis on direct Cash Transfer (DBT) where schemes or benefits are directly transferred to the people with no middle men in between. Today Ujwala, Jan Dan Account, Janani Suraksha yojana, Matru Vandana Yojana, PM kisan samman nidhi, PM fasal bhima yojana, etc are been done by DBT. Transactions have been made easier through JAM trinity integration (Jan dhan, Aadhar, Mobile). For common man to get health benefits PM Ayushman bharat Jan Arogya yojana was started and 2.5 crore treated by admissions till 20 december 2021 and 8.4 lakh covid cases were treated. Previously transport by airways was to be a dream for a common man , but with UDAN (Ude desh ka Aam Nagrik) scheme 403 operational of proposed 948 routes, number of airports increased from 74 (2014) to 138 (2021) and further planned to increase to 220 to 250 in the next 4 to 5 years air travel has become feasible for common man. Post Office Passport Seva Kendra are brought at 424 post offices enabling easier process to get passport services. Unification of all services is been done
- One nation one ration card
- One nation one grid in electricity
- One nation one marketà e-NAM
- One rank one pension in army
- One age for marriage Raising the age of marriage for female
- Women into permanent commission
- One nation ,one law, one symbol àRepeal of Article 370
The governments motive is “Sabke saath sabka Vikas sabka vishwas sabka prayas” . This year we are celebrating azadi ka amruth mahotsav 75th Independence Year and by year 2047 when we will be celebrating 100 years of Independce our target is to make Bharat “Vishwa guru”.
Bharat Mata Ki Jai …