India’s Vedic Literature is known for it’s deep knowledge about various branches of Science and even Mathematics, Psychology, economics and environment. Factually, many western scientists used different Vedic literatures to invent or discover many scientific concepts, laws, mathematical modelling, medicinal studies, astrology, cosmology, metallurgy and life science such as mind, intellect, memory, ego and soul.
It has been realized that modern day inventions, discoveries, concepts and laws were already mentioned in Vedic literature thousand of years back. Many scientists have studied Vedas, used in building concepts and verified the same.
After the conversations about Indian philosophy, some of the ideas of Quantum Physics that had seemed so crazy suddenly made much more sense…Werner Heisenberg, German Physicist.
Our ancestors, Sages had this great knowledge not on just paper but implemented many concepts practically on ground with best skills and design at that time. We can see various temples, buildings, metal work, architectural beauty, mathematical calculations…few examples..
• Modern metallurgists have not been able to produce iron of comparable quality to the 22 foot high Iron pillar of Delhi, which is the largest hand forged block of iron from antiquity.
• *In 2009, the Swiss people voted to add a new article to its constitution for the recognition of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Switzerland is thus the first Western country to implement the integration of CAM in its public health system and to institutionalize Ayurveda in its complete span, covering the fields of clinical practice, professional training, research and availability of medicines. In 2010, the World Health Organization (WHO) published the benchmarks for professional training in Ayurveda. The content is inspired by the syllabus for Ayurvedic doctors in India (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery, BAMS). Further Indo Swiss are working towards recognition of Ayurveda as full fledged medical system for the world.
• Acharya Chanakya, political thinker, Economist, Management Guru and Philosopher, Management is also a science, he was the first to visualize the concept of a ‘nation’ for the first time in human history. During his time, India was split into various kingdoms. He brought them all together under one central governance, thus creating a nation called ‘Aryavartha’, which later became India. He documented his lifelong work in his book Kautilya’s Arthashastra and Chanakya Niti. For ages, rulers across the world have referred to the Arthashastr for building a nation on sound economics, based on spiritual values.
Management has been recognised as a science since the 1950s. One of the fathers of modern management is Peter Drucker. As a nation we have over 5000 years to our credit. Did we not have management scientists in our country before the 20th century? In the ancient Indian scriptures — Ramayana, Mahabharata, the various Upanishads — we found brilliant discussions of management strategies.
Acharya Chanakya’s management philosophies/principles were used to make modern principles and are being used worldwide.
• **The Vedic Scriptures are scientifically, historically proven truth. More than 5,000 years ago, in the Vedic scripture called Srimad Bhagavatam (3rd Canto, Chapter 31) the unique information on the development of the embryo was already explained beautifully. Aristotle (384 – 322 BC) was the first westerners to describe the concept of embryology but his research was very limited compared to the literary description mentioned in Mahabharata, Srimad-Bhagavatam, Garbhopanishad.
• The thousand pillar hall of Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple has absolutely Zero ECHO. We can very well gauge the knowledge of our ancestors about concepts of sound.
• Benefits of Cow urine has been mentioned in our Vedas and being used as medicine from many centuries, many scientists have studied the benefits especially on chronic diseases and noted the benefits. Today, Seven international companies have taken patents of cow urine.
• Many spices which are used in India are also patented by many international companies knowing their benefits on physical and mental level.
• Law of Gravitation, Newton’s laws of motion, Pythagoras theorem, timing of eclipses, distances of stars and planets from the earth and many such laws, theories, inventions and discoveries have been found quite accurate by modern scientists when they referred Vedic literature.
We as a global citizen, need to work more closely towards better human life in terms of physical, mental and social health at the same time we need to preserve and better our environment for our future generations, in global scenario. Today, somehow our focus on physical needs/desires created a society of poor health and depleted environment.
It is our duty as a global citizen to use knowledge of Vedic Literature and talent of global experts/scientists, researchers to use and develop such scientific methods which are in accordance with the betterment of human being and of environment.
Countries should not work in isolation as it results in short term gain but long term loss. It is better to follow India’s slogan “Vasuddhaiv Kutumbakam” for the welfare of the whole world using scientific methods coupled with ancient Indian wisdom.
Any new scientific discovery/invention if it is taking too much time or taking toll on environment and other countries is not a good sign so it has to be in accordance with India’s Vedic culture which will definitely enhance the value of each other with balancing the use of natural resources and maintaining the environment.
There are many challenges for the whole world, recent challenge is that, we are going through “Corona Pandemic”. Global experts have realized that good Immunity is achieved using Indian herbs and spices (Ayurvedic Medicines), likewise, next challenge for humanity might be superbug, we need to be ready beforehand to counter it effectively. It will be possible only if we all work together and taking help from the Indian ancient knowledge.
We have bigger challenges on global warming and other environmental,social and economic issues which can be positively worked out and solved in correlation with Indian Vedic philosophy.
It is important for world leaders realize the importance of India’s deep knowledge on different scientific aspects and work together for betterment of our planet.
We are proud of great scientists/experts globally such Aryabhatt, Maharishi Kanad, Acharya Chanakya, Albert Einstein, Newton, Michael Faraday, Maxwell, Gregor Mendel, C. V. Raman, Homi Jahangir Bhabha, Ramanujam, …List is long….
Our ancient knowledge about science can bring the harmony among nations, Positive Growth and development for all, Positive health benefits and balanced environment.
We welcome all world leaders to work in harmony using Indian ancient scientific knowledge to bring out the best.
- C. Dwarakanath. 1990. Dhanvantari. In Raghvan, V. (Ed.) Scientists: Cultural Leaders of India. New Delhi: Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
**[Excerpt from “𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐁𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡 & 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 — (𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐥 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐥𝐞𝐝𝐠𝐞 & 𝐒𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐒𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 — 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 5)” by Kr. Ayeshwar Reang